Friday, September 25, 2015

Unit 1 summary

I believe all designs can be described and analyzed by both principles and elements. Before the beginning of this course, I didn’t look at designs the way I do now. I used to look at an object or structure and only recognize it was aesthetically pleasing, without breaking down why. After completing unit 1, I see things from a completely different perspective. I went to Rome last fall, and saw various incredible structures with fascinating history behind them. An example would be the colosseum. Through the last lecture on Roman structures, I broke down the principles and elements of the colosseum and realized how many principles and elements make it what it is. Not only do I look at large structures differently at this point, but I also can take more from simple and smaller designs as well; such as a small model, or a teapot. On my first visit back to my hometown this month, I went to one of my favorite restaurants designed by a family friend of mine. In my previous visits to this restaurant, I noticed the aspects that made it beautiful, but after learning how to determine the principles and elements, I looked at it from a designer’s perspective and also noticed its modernism. After touring the campus with the class, I do not just walk by white hall anymore without much thought. I notice the detailed design in the door, and the use of brick and concrete throughout it. Not only in this class, but my other design classes as well, I have learned principles and elements can be pulled from any design in the world. No matter what you’re looking at, at least one principle or element can be given.



No comments:

Post a Comment