Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Case Study 4 (light + color)

Machu Picchu is an Incan citadel set high in the Andes Mountains in Peru, above the Urubamba River valley. Built in the 15th century and later abandoned, it’s renowned for its sophisticated dry-stone walls that fuse huge blocks without the use of mortar, intriguing buildings that play on astronomical alignments, and panoramic views. Its exact former use remains a mystery. Because this city is set high in the Andes Mountains, it has always been affected by natural sunlight. On brighter hours of the day, the sunlight hits each structure showing harsh and smooth textures and shadow. The structure contains of earthy tones, which I also represented through my model. I used multi colored stones for my model to show how the stones at Machu Picchu have changed in color over time due to time weather and nature. While artificial light is used to illuminate my model, I believe Machu Picchu experience little to no artificial light. The stacking of buildings and steps add room for many shadows, changing through a 24 hour cycle. I showed stacking in my model as well to show how light is affected. 

The mountain is bright
Thanks to all natural light
With colors of life











    No comments:

    Post a Comment