Monday, November 9, 2015

Loudon House Exploration

Loudon House Exploration

Keith Barker
Lengthening


I believe Lengthening by Keith Barker best represents the combination of light and color out of the art work displayed in Here and Now. Here we see forty consecutive days of winter and spring 2015, one image for each day. We see how natural light and color comes together to create this piece of art. The change of the seasons plays a large role in the variation of color throughout. Although each image is the same tree, there is still contrast due to light and color, while some images are more dull in the winter months or on a rainy day, and others are much brighter on a sunny day. Keith captured multiple colors by taking photos of the tree at various angles, giving a different background scenary for each. I believe light and color is portrayed so successfully in Lengthening because it is shown through nature and natural light. These small forty images come together to create one harmonious and balanced image. 





In each room served as an exhibition space, there were very large windows. This allows natural light to completely fill each room, enhancing the artwork displayed. Not only did each room consist of natural lighting, but also spotlights hanging from the ceiling, proving even more focus on the artwork displayed. I noticed in each exhibit room the walls were painted white. I would assume this is to prevent distractions from the artwork. Although the house consists of only white walls, I believe it this allows natural and artificial light to illuminate the artwork even further. An interesting source of artificial light hangs in the foyer, a glass chandelier that consists of multiple shapes. The windows on each side of the front door also allow natural light in, while these windows consist of multiple colors allowing the white space to feel more bright. The overall interior space is open and bright.



I believe the park and surrounding neighborhood contrasts with the building’s design. While this building is considered one of the largest and finest examples of Gothic Revival architecture in the state, the surrounding neighborhood is a more different style. I find the exterior building to be one of the most fascinating I have visited, while the Hunt-Morgan House, Pope Villa, and Ashland didn’t capture my interest as much from the exterior. However, Ashland caught my eye the most on the inside, giving much to look at with busy wallpaper, furniture, etc. These building are signify history in Lexington, making them places of interest to many. I consider Ashland to be the most successful as a designed artifact reflective of the time and place in which it was constructed. It successfully portrays the time period it is meant to because of how it has been decorated and filled.  Overall, the four houses give off a very strong sense of place and time. I believe the design of each reflect values of those who designed, built, and occupied them. Each designer generally has a certain style, and this is shown through each. The Hunt Morgan and Ashland house greatly reflect who occupied them, showing history throughout each.  Color, light, and materials can tell a lot about each building, while they unite to create an aesthetically pleasing and historical place.


Overall, I had a very positive experience while visiting the Loudoun house. I was very excited when I first witnessed this Gothic style castle, and felt very calm and peaceful while touring the house. It’s very bright and open, and contains very diverse artwork throughout each room. I wasn’t sure what to expect when walking into the house, but I was pleased with what I saw. One of my favorite designs throughout the house was the fireplace and mantle. I thought it was interesting how the mantle went into a point rather than just being flat. My favorite painting throughout was The Ultimate Family by David Wischer. I enjoyed seeing his twisted take on the exaggerated personalities of WWF wrestlers in the 1980’s. I found this one the most interesting but each piece of art was unique in its own way. I hope to visit the Loudoun house again in the near future.


No comments:

Post a Comment